Sunday, April 4, 2010

Race Committee - Lots of Pictures!

So it turns out we aren't doing anything at my mom's shop today. She changed her mind, she just wants to stay home and eat. Haha.

I've wanted to do a post about the race committee volunteering I do so I decided to do that tonight! I've been volunteering off and on for about 6 years. I started in 7th grade. Then 8th and 9th grade I raced on our boat Sunstar. Since 10th grade I've been volunteering again since I won't race with my parents anymore and I know the committee needs the help and they're all very nice people.

First I want to show you the boat that we usually use for race committee. The pictures are all clickable if you want to see them bigger.



I wasn't actually on the boat that day, I was on a different one. These pictures are from almost 3 years ago I think. Wow.



This is where I am for the beginning of race committee, checking in and doing flags! On Wednesday nights the boat leaves the dock at 5, and if there is enough wind, the race starts at 6. I help check in boats as they show up, so we know how many are racing. So I stand out there with my clipboard and mark everybody down. I also do flags, which usually takes 15 minutes on Wednesday nights. It's fun getting to watch the starts, especially when the sailors are screaming at each other. It's very entertaining. It's not as fun when you are racing though. I've been in some starts like that and they stressed me out. Anyways, flags were the first thing I started doing back in 7th grade. That used to be all I did. Now I also do check-in and record intermediate and finish times. Last summer they also had me be recorder, so I wrote down everything that happened. I write where the marks are, if anybody is over the start line early, if anybody gets disqualified, if people decide to quit, the wind speed and direction. I write it all down. It's way more fun having more than just flags to do. I used to get bored.



So there is a picture with me! Haha. And my favorite auntie Michele. We have only used that boat for committee boat once that I can remember.



And here is a picture of all the volunteers from that regatta almost 3 years ago. My stepdad is standing behind me. Bleh. But 5 people in that picture are part of my adopted family. I just love being at the yacht club.

I know this post is ridiculously long, but I want to show you all some pictures I took last summer while I was on committee.


The smaller boat in this picture is my parents.




LAST PICTURE I PROMISE.



I just had to post this picture because it is one where I am actually racing! WHOOT. This was at a regatta in Anacortes.


Mkay, I supposed I should finish this up. I will probably post a few pictures of races from time to time over the next few months, since I will be out on committee once a week until at least mid July! YAY.

-Tier
[:

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

The pictures are really beautiful, you're lucky to live in such a pretty place!

btw, I was watching LA Ink the other night and a girl named Tierney got a her cat tattoed on her! It made me think of you xD Just thought i'd tell you since it's such a unique name and i've never heard it any other place!

Tierney said...

Thanks! Yeah, I love it here, I just get tired of the rain. When it's sunny outside though, it's so beautiful.

Hahah, nice. I've heard of a singer named Tierney Sutton I think, my mom bought a cd just because of her name. But that is the only thing I can think of where I have heard my name before.

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile!